Monday, December 1, 2008

OK, what's with CNN?

I've been trying to catch up with the blogs tonight, and I kept noticing a common theme that many of the posts come from CNN.com.

Admittedly, I go to CNN.com for my news too. I find it easy to use and it is the national news Web site I have used during my time in college. The site always has a lead story and then a list of other top stories that is easy to read through. There are the 'most popular' lists and multimedia that accompanies many of the stories.

But what about sites like the Drudge Report? No multimedia, no most popular lists, nothing fancy ... only a few photos with links to other stories. But it does have a lot of news on it.

So I've just been wondering, why do you choose the news Web sites you do? Can you explain why or is it just a habit?

3 comments:

Colleen said...

I think that I continually go to CNN because it is organized in a manner that is easy to find something that I'm interested in. I also think that is a well-known source of news, so it is trustworthy, and I really like that it is constantly being updated. But I think the real reason I keep going back is habit. And why did my habit form? It's just easier to type "CNN" in the browser because it is only three letters. Laziness motivates me to always go back to CNN. I also think that is why it is popular with a lot of other people in America.

Nicole said...

I have pretty much always read CNN.com. I don't think it is necessarily better than other news network or news Web site, I just think it is a more user-friendly Web site and easy to navigate. The way CNN's Web site is designed makes the reader get the news he/she wants in the least amount of time. Also CNN has a summary feature that sums up a story in three phrases that is extremely useful, at least for me.

Meghan said...

I agree with Colleen. Also, I like how I can get some of the more important international information and news in one place. The one thing I don't like is how there seems to misleading or very vague headlines just to get me to click. That can sometimes be annoying.